- ¾ cup cannabutter, (softened not melted!)
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2¼ teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, stir together sugar, molasses, water, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and add butter. Stir occasionally until the butter is melted and incorporated. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the molasses mixture (after it’s cooled) with a wooden spoon. Mix until combined.
- Place dough into a gallon sized Ziploc bag and flatten the dough evenly into one sheet. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 375F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Prepare a clean, flat surface with a light dusting of flour. Working with 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll dough to a 1/4 inch thickness, adding flour as need.
- With a floured cookie cutter, cut dough into desired shapes. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, until set and lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool on cooling racks before icing.
- 1 Tbs meringue powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 Tbs of water
- red & green food coloring, if desired
Place ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat until icing is smooth and matte, about 8 minutes. Color and pipe icing as desired.