If you’ve ever been to a fair or a park, you would have tasted monkey bread, that sticky, gooey pastry that finds a place at breakfast tables in the United States. For the sake of those who haven’t heard of the term—it’s a sweet dish that’s made out of dough balls dipped in cinnamon sugar and baked. Although these are available for the asking, there’s nothing like making your own medicated monkey paw bread.
Let’s look at what we need:
- Cannabutter (6oz at room temperature)
- Melted cannabutter (½ lb.)
- Sugar (3 tbs)
- Salt (1tsp)
- Milk (1cup)
- Eggs (3)
- Yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
- Flour (4 ½ cups)
- 9-inch ring mold
- Mixing bowl
- Knife to cut the butter
- Bread tin (to allow the loaf to rise)
- Take a little milk in a bowl and add yeast to it. Stir the milk till the yeast dissolves. Add 2 eggs to the mixture and beat well. This helps create air pockets and allow the bread to rise. Add the salt, sugar, and flour and mix the ingredients well adding small quantities of milk at a time. Once you attain a smooth dough, add the butter. Cut the butter into small bits and then knead it into the dough so that the butter blends into it.
- Now put the dough into the bread tin and allow it to rise. It takes roughly 60 to 90 minutes for the dough to rise to double its size. Remove from the tin and roll the dough on a board that has been previously floured. Keep rolling the dough in the form of a long cylinder till it’s nice and pliable. Then cut vertically into two dozen symmetrical and equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and dip it in the melted butter.
- Take the ring mold, butter, and flour it and place the balls of dough on it leaving enough space between each piece to allow for horizontal spread while baking. Allow the balls to stand in the mold for half an hour (this is to allow it to rise), brush the tops with egg and bake for 25-30 minutes. Don’t forget to pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- A golden-brown treat greets your eyes. Wait for it cool and then top it up with cream or strawberries or chocolate syrup and you have the most delicious pastry that will surely satiate your sweet buds.
Be careful about how many you eat—it’s a medicated pastry- so don’t monkey around with this one.