Here is a fun take on classic blueberry pie with a Mary Jane style revamp! Take a shot at this delicious recipe for cute Mini Marijuana Blueberry Pie that is baked in an ordinary canning jar lid! So smart! So easy! So yummy!
One could, alternately, use this recipe to make a single large blueberry pie. And while this recipe uses large wide-mouth canning jar lids to make 8 individual pies 3 1/2-inches in diameter, one could choose to use the smaller 2 3/4-inch canning jar lids to make about 12 tiny blueberry pies.
You have 3 options when it comes to medicating the Marijuana Blueberry Pies:
- Medicate the pie crust. Don’t get intimidated at the thought of making your own pie crust. If you have a food processor, it’s easy. I show you how to make pie crust with video instructions at this link, where you’ll also find my medicated Marijuana Pie Crust recipe. If you opt to medicate the crust, you can still use the filling recipe below, just substitute regular butter for the cannabis-infused butter and proceed as directed.
- Use a store-bought crust and medicate the filling. The recipe on this page is for Blueberry Pie Filling. I use Marijuana Butter to make it. The instructions at this link will show you how to make cannabis infused butter, if you don’t already know.
- Medicate both crust and filling. If you are someone who needs a high dose of cannabis, pies like this one have so much butter in them, you can make it ultra strong. Obviously, this option is not for everyone, but I hear from enough patients dealing with chronic pain and other issues who require strong doses, and pie recipes usually provide ample ways to amp the dosage for those who need it.
Lets get started!
No matter if you make my homemade Medicated Pie Crust or if you use a refrigerated pie crust dough you bought at the market, you will need to fill the Mason Jar lids to make the pies. The very first thing you need to do is to turn the lid insert upsidedown, the opposite of how you would use it if canning. This will make a metal bottom and sides for you Mason jar lid pie pan.
- 1/2 recipe Cheri’s medicated Pie Crust, see notes above, for crust bottoms
- 1 refrigerated pie crust dough
- 1 nonmedicated homemade or refrigerated dough for crust tops, see notes above
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 4 teaspoons cannabis infused butter chilled
- 1 egg beaten with 2 teaspoons water
How it’s done:
Prepare the crusts. If you are making medicated pie crust from scratch, follow the directions in that recipe to roll out dough and make 8 single crust pies in canning jar lids (3 ½-inch diameter). Recipe link to medicated Pie Crust is in the notes above. If you are opting to use a crust you bought at the store, you won’t need to roll it out, but instructions for cutting and filling the Mason jar lids are the same. There is a video above this recipe that shows you how to do it.
Preheat oven to 375 F.
In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine blueberries, sugar, lemon or lime juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, until blueberries are starting to soften and give off juice, about 3-4 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Drizzle cornstarch mixture into cooking blueberries, stirring until combined. Continue to cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
Cut the chilled cannabis butter into tiny pieces and stir into the hot blueberry mixture until melted and evenly mixed.
Fill prepared crust with blueberry filling, about 1/4 cup each.
Top the pies with a second crust, see notes above for ideas and instructions.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.
Let cool completely before removing from the Mason Jar “pie pans” by carefully pushing up from the bottom to remove the ring, then using a knife to slide the pie off the metal disc and onto a plate.
Here’s another great thing about these pies. You can roll the dough and fill them, then wrap well in foil and freeze, unbaked. Anytime you want a fresh from the oven medicated Apple Pie, pop one out of the freezer and put it in the hot oven to bake following the instructions below, but allowing an extra 5-10 minutes baking time.
This method also works with any kind of pie filling, get creative!